Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My Humble Food Adventures

It was the most obvious of ironies, but I only realised it when my aunt pointed it out – in the car, on the way back home. How can a restaurant with such food and such prices be named “Humble House”? Obviously irony is an integral part of modern Chinese cuisine.

Anyway I could not really believe my aunt when she said we were going to Humble House for dinner. I think she had been harbouring desires to get there and try the food ever since we caught the Sam Leong series. So on this fateful day between DeepaRaya we ventured forth. She definitely has no regrets having tried, and paid. Neither do I. Perhaps the marble goby tasted a bit … ordinary, but the rest of the food was outstanding. The setting was quite “can’t see what you’re eating” dark, the music was not quite right, but otherwise everything was great. The only slight problem is that I now want to make a return visit. So my challenge is wondering who I can coax into paying for that one …

Oh and it was my dad’s first time in the Esplanade. So I brought him around a bit. We went to the roof terrace, where I introduced him to the “BEFORE IR” view of Marina South. We’ll definitely be back again in five years.

It didn’t take five years for us to make a return visit to Aston’s Specialities. But we returned to a slightly different place … the guy decided to move from the kopitiam to his very own eatery on East Coast Road. There is now more space, more seating, more erm ventilation generally, and the food remains absolutely smashing good, really regardless of price. I am still smitten and will probably drag my daddy for my next return visit.

My attempt to revisit Cheesecake Café was however thwarted by their apparent slackness and decision to close on Tuesday in addition to Mondays. I sulked my way to Secret Recipe and was mildly appeased by new cheesecakes on the menu. I tried a lemon cheesecake. It was baked fluffy light and had two digestive cookie layers with a zesty lemon topping. I felt it was reasonable, but miss mint thought it tasted too artificial.

I have really been eating a lot this block leave. I have satisfied most of my gastronomical cravings. Had Thai at First Thai where I over-ordered and missed out on desserts and finally visited Curry Favour on Saturday when we put up at Intercontinental. Naturally we also went to The Lounge where I found they had a new singer who is an equal of the previous diva. We also had a fulfilling buffet breakfast in The Lounge. I also visited Cedele and its cheesecakes (my current favourites) too many times. Add Spinelli to that. I also neglected my Royal China mooncakes, and as a result they decided to revolt and go all mouldy. Haiz.

What other food adventures … I still have yet to find the jiaozi which my buddy influenced me into craving. And really there is still Peng Lai Ge to visit. Not to mention North Indian food and tandoori … oooooh ….

No comments: